Hey, guys the day on May 12/2016 is the best day of my life till now. I was in Google’s Office for Adsense Publisher Meet.Honestly, I didn’t have any intention to go there, but when I came to know that it is being hosted at Google Office, wouldn’t I seize that opportunity 🙂
So let me start, how it all started 🙂
Got an invitation confirmation from Google( Irony My Adsense was Banned on April 15 and Google Confirmed my invite even after that 😛 )
Packed my bags to leave to Bangalore from Chennai, reached Bangalore
at 5:00 am, checked in a hotel and slept for 2 hrs, getting up at 7:30 am and getting ready and making my way to Google Office ( was damn excited and a bit of nervousness )
I met there one of the members of PTI, who was Shubham, he was awesome, though, met at the security gate, they were verifying us and then marked my way to go at Google Office, entered the Google Office, damn can’t express that.
As soon as I came, a big screen of the whole world map, which was awesome and besides to it was another big screen with Google Train woah and on the left Google Employees were working, Nice Ambience, such quiet and excellent place, then got a digital Id Card of Google :p
So after getting the id card, I went to the 4th floor where the event was taking place
So From here the actual tips start 🙂
The starting thing was to the digital market of India, as the current status of people on the internet and what’s the plan of Google, I don’t think it is important to stress this topic here
Then Comes Hindi Contents: The Next Big Opportunity
In this, the Google employee Mr.Jatin was giving a valuable session of Hindi content, how is it growing and why does it matter in upcoming years
Some Facts from that session -:
55 Crore Hindi users in India, out of which only 6 Crore people use it online
565 Million people use English on The Internet. 55.7% of the web is in English.There is below 0.1% of the web available in Hindi
Google Adsense started approving Hindi Content 🙂
Break-: Networked with people around their and it was awesome, but to be honest Coffee was more delicious :p
Coming to Writing for Digital-:
It was the most exciting part, they expressed all things perfectly, now it is my time to explain you. 😛
While writing online, here are some simple tips-:
1) Keep it simple and focused
2) Do not use complicated words or phrases; you may think it looks professional, but all it matters is whether your user understands it or not!
3) Write short, concise articles
4) Find a unique angle
5) Create clusters of topics
6) Do not go behind perfection
7) Use more visual content such as slides, infographics, tables, images
8) Keep the right mix of original vs. curated content
Sources of inspiration for writing digital content -:
1) Google Alerts to find out news related content to topics of interest, as it happens
2) Professional networks like Linkedin to connect with thought leaders
3) Respond to industry news, reports, and research.
4) Write content around videos by adding a conversation.
5) Recycle old articles and arrange them in clusters
6) Ample tools for content discovery, research, creation, curation, and distribution
Useful tools for Content Discovery-:
1) Feedly -: Add your favorite blogs and websites to start filling up you feed with content
2) Pulse -: App that allows users to curate based on their interests and topics of choice
3) Quora-: The popular social network is a platform for question and answers discussions.You can identify trends from consistently asked questions
4) Spike -: This tool shows your trending stories and social media shares by geographical location and over a particular time frame. It tells you how each story is doing on the web and social media and also provides email alerts
Useful Tools for Distributions:
1) Buffer -: Buffer helps to schedule your content across Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter for posting at the best times optimized for your account
2) SlideShare -: You can create a presentation to draw attention to a resource or service on your website
3) MailChimp -: One of the easiest email marketing platforms to use to market your content to your email list.
4) PHPList.com -: An open source email marketing platform that lets you send up to 300 messages per month for FREE or 9000 messages per month to 3000 subscribers for 1$
5) Bundlr -: Allows users to clip content from their browsers as they browse, making it quick and easy to bundle your content with other quality sources of information.
Some Useful Tools To Make Your Content Interactive -:
1) ThingLink -: Tag images to make them more engaging with links to video, music, text
2) PowToon -: Create animated videos and presentations with PowToon
3) UberFlip -: Optimize your PDFs to add social widgets, audio, and video elements to make the content both interactive and measurable
4) Timeline JS -: An excellent free tool that lets you create embeddable, responsive timelines using Google Spreadsheets. The timelines can contain video, photos, and tweets
Some Useful tools for ORGANIZING -:
1) Trello -: An entirely free tool for organizing everything from media to ideas on neatly organized card
2) MindNode -: Map out your brainstorms sessions and ideas to better understand what’s on track and what’s not working
3) WunderList -: Use this syndication platform to send press releases about your content to thousands of journalists
4) Pocket -: An excellent mobile app to save articles for offline reading, which even cleans up saved articles to minimize distractions. It is also available in desktop as a chrome extension.
Some tips to make your content more IMPRESSIVE -:
Tip#1 – Create Infographics
Infographics are perfect for communicating almost any idea or concept.Research shows that three times more than any other piece of content shared on social media. Some FREE resources to create Infographics are -:
Piktochart – www.piktochart.com
Venngage – www.vengage.com
Visual.ly -: create.visual.ly
Easel.ly -: easel.ly
Infogr.am -: infogr.am
Tip#2 Headlines matters a lot
Headlines are the deciding factor for a visitor whether to visit your blog or not.Having a dull headline won’t interest your reader, but having a catchy title will attract more visitors
There are four types of headlines; you can follow anyone which follows, below will be the name of headline and a suitable example of it
Direct heading -:
Tips that show How to earn money online- GUARANTEED
Smartphone Buying Guide -: Essential things to check before buying
These type of headline excites many users to click on it as they are very curious to know about this stuff.Just look at the below example
Father goes for kidney treatment – Leaves Hospital as a woman
Everyone would be interested to know that how a man who went for kidney treatment comes out as a female :p haha
10 Lies your doctor tells you
You will be very interested in knowing this that what lie does your doctor say to you, and you will catch him next time you meet
Why 40-year-old Tech is still running America’s Air Traffic Control
These type of headlines are tricky headlines to grab user attention
These are some awesome guides which can grab the attention of users like -:
Ten Linkedin tips to create a killer profile
How to build an eye-catching infographic in 3 minutes
Tip#3 Videos -:
Everybody knows the potential of Youtube as a significant traffic source
Here is how to leverage videos online -:
- Write super long video descriptions ( Search engines like Google, Yahoo, or Bing lean heavily on text surrounding the video to understand the topic of your video)
- Use annotation to prompt users to be your subscribers or give them directions or links to your new video.Apply a good heading and your work is done.annotation can drive viewers to more content, increase community actions on your videos, and attract new subscribers
- Use online communities like Linkedin or Quora to provide an answer or a perspective using your youtube video
These are some video types which works well and is often searched
How to’s, Product Reviews, Collections
Additional Tips -:
- Find Profitable Niches and untapped keywords.
- Build Communities on Facebook, Linkedin and Google Plus
- Launch Contest, Giveaways and reward your fans or visitors who visit your blog
- Give Freebies such as eBooks to boost your subscriber lists
- Put some of your killer presentation on document sharing sites such as SlideShare
- Leverage trending topics
- Leverage name of personalities or famous companies
example -: Indian startup Pluggx aims to be the Apple of the smart home industry
AMP means Accelerated Mobile Pages
Google opened a new open source initiative called Accelerated Mobile Pages, which aims dramatically to improve the performance of the mobile web. We want web pages with rich content like video, animations and graphics to work alongside smart ads, and to load instantaneously. We also want the same code to work across multiple platforms and devices so that content can appear everywhere in an instant—no matter what type of phone, tablet or mobile device you’re using.
You can know more what is AMP from here -: g.co/amp
You can also request a demo from here -: g.co/ampdemo
You can see this detailed guide on How To Setup WordPress Website For AMP
And after these long and interactive sessions finally, we were invited to have lunch. I thought there would be a separate cafeteria for guests to have lunch but to my surprise, we were having lunch with all other Google employees, which was something awesome.
The plate was a bit heavy to hold :p haha. I was shivering when some Google employees came up to us and talked to us. One of them was Adsense Manager.My legs were shaking, but eventually, it stopped and was talking to many employees.Lunch was excellent, and it was a proud moment for me to sit in Google office and have lunch with other Google employees. Google employees were so friendly to us.
I noticed some unusual thing in Google’s bathroom there was a laptop stand, I mean really? Why people need a laptop, stand in a bathroom? 😛 lol
The guest WiFi which Google gave to us was damn fast; everyone was busy downloading or uploading big files and eventually eating up the WiFi of Google.Even I downloaded all the episodes of Silicon Valley 3rd season.3 Episodes combined and the total file size was about a GB got it downloaded in 5- 10 minutes.Very fast
Back To the session
It was the Ad Layout presented by Adpushup Team
They uncovered many things
Ad Optimization depends upon on many factors there is no fixed layout of ads which will work for everyone.
To find the best layout for your site need to make lots of Ad placement experiments and the many people see rise in CTR after changing arrangement but after few days again back to normal that’s because of Banner blindness
Try using Image Flash Ads, Use about 4-5 color ads on a website, don’t use only the default color, try changing it various other colors and experiment it which placement or color will suit your site.
Also, put different ads for different users.Like, show a USA visitor a different ad and an Indian user a different ad. Experiment all these and you will get a good CTR and RPM
The Content Guidelines
Original Content -:
1) Provide users with high quality and rich content
2) Attribute articles and artwork to particular authors and creators
3) Avoid galleries with no content other than compilations of images, videos or memes
Engaging Layout -:
Use a custom layout for each site.Avoid using the same template for multiple, unrelated site
Ensure users can clearly differentiate ads from content
Clear Navigation -:
Ads placed on pages with precise navigation
Avoid placing ads on “thank you” or dead end pages
Avoid placing ads next to navigational elements to avoid user confusion
Different actions taken by Adsense Policy-:
Site Warning -: 72 hrs to make changes or site is disabled
When Google sends this mail, they also send which content is inappropriate and what to take down, but many people after seeing these panics and reply them “I don’t know, I didn’t do anything ”
You have just to fix the changes and mail Google, and they won’t ban your site
Site Disabling -: Ads disabled on the site immediately
When you don’t set the changes within 72 hours, Google automatically disables ads on the site
You get mail from Google that your account will be disabled if you don’t make some changes they mention. So all you have to do is to make changes to prevent account from being disabled
Account Suspension -:
You get mail from Google that No ads would be shown for 30 days if you don’t fix these things.All you have to do is, just fix those things and wait for 30 days and Google will automatically show ads on your website after 30 days
Account Disabling -:
Google disables account for those publishers who violates the rules of Adsense aggressively with major issues to be fixed, which leads to permanent account ban
Google won’t ban your account until it detects some suspicious activity it may result in ban even for Accidental clicks
Accidental Clicks is when the ads are placed next to the navigation, so user can accidentally click on it
And now we come to the end of the session which was led by Mr.Syed Mairaj
1) First of all, it is not necessary or your site to have a robots.txt file, if you have it then there is no harm, but if you don’t have it, then also there is no problem
Robots.txt files are used to tell Google crawler what all pages to get indexed and what to be not. People won’t like if their usernames and passwords get indexed right, so by uploading a robots.txt file you just instruct Google, which pages to get indexed. But be very careful while uploading a robot.txt file
2) While uploading a picture many people do not use alt text which is one of the reasons why Google won’t index your image.
While using alt text make sure you type, what’s the picture about, you shouldn’t type something irrelevant
For example -: If you upload a picture of Ellora Caves, you should write alt text which tells Google what is the picture about, use alt text like Ellora Caves and not something other which becomes difficult for Google to crawl the image.
3)You should write content for Users and not for Googlebot. Do not optimize so much.You should do Onpage and Offpage SEO, but the content should be understandable to the users.Write the content in simple language.
4) You can create multilingual blog by alternate and hreflang tags
Here is the code -:
“en” for English and “hi” for Hindi
Some of the Myths which bloggers still believe -:
These are just myths( confirmed by Google employees )
1) Duplicate Content will penalize your site -:
Don’t worry about duplicate content within your site; Google is good at recognizing and ignoring duplicates, be reasonable when using third party content, it still makes sense to clean it up regardless
So the myth is uncovered, that Duplicate content won’t penalize your site
2) Using Google products helps or harms-:
It does not help nor harms.you may be thinking if you Google products it may be benefit you in search results, if you think so then you are highly mistaken, because, at the meet, the employees of Google said “It will neither help you nor harm you, But there are many great Google products, and there are also great products which are not made by Google”
Such humble response so by using Google products to rank higher was just a myth, my friend
3) PageRank is Dead and is PageRank everything?
Pagerank is not dead and yeah page rank is not everything that Google sees. PageRank is just a measure of links to a page.Google uses Pagerank, but Google also uses 200 other factors
4) Is there an optimal keyword density?
No, there is no optimal “keyword density.” this is the biggest myth all bloggers think, they believe that by just making an optimal keyword density, they can rank. “NO” there is no optimal keyword density, you should be writing natural and should be writing for your users and readers and not for GoogleBots. Search engines will understand your content
5) Does Shared IP address causes problems?
NO, it doesn’t cause any problems. Many bloggers think that they have ten websites in their single account and out of which two gets penalized they believe that the remaining ten sites will also be cross checked by Google and will get penalized. It is all false, it is just a myth, shared hosting is fine only when you don’t do some black hat thing, and manual action is always granular.
6) An Incorrect sitemap will result in a manual action -;
No, it won’t results to penalizing or anything. Sitemaps are used just for discovery.If you provide an incorrect sitemap, then it may be harder for Google to find your content
7) Google eats your Adsense Money -:
No this is not true. I have seen many people saying “Google took away my 1000$ by banning my Adsense, they earn like that only ” This is not true. Adsense gets banned only when advertisers who paid money to Google does not get anything in return, and initially, Google pays back the advertiser from their pocket and later deduct it from your AdSense balance. So Google doesn’t eat your money.
After that, we had an awesome discussion with many Google employees such as Miss Shruti, Mr. Syed, Mr.Jatin, Mr.Priyesh and many other Employees. It was a great experience, and I was triumphal that I was present there all over from Chennai, totally worth it, and that was fantastic.
A day at the office of Google and the proudest moment was having lunch with Google employees and talking to them. An excellent lunch though and drank about four mugs of coffee haha. Even the employees at Google were so friendly and patiently answering each question.The boy standing in blue color shirt is me and to my left is Shubham
If you like this article do share it and you can visit my primary blog which is Hackers Den